Score top marks in the UPSC Mains 2022 with the help of this book.
The book provides numerous tips, techniques, examples and illustrations for writing the best answers in the UPSC Civil Services Mains Examination.
Illustrations and Tables
The book has dedicated chapters for illustrations and Tables (Chapter 23) and answer writing for all four GS papers (Chapter 24-27). It helps students learn to use maps for the questions of Geography and International Affairs, wherever possible.
1. The natural resource potentials of ‘Deccan trap’ discussed at length.
2. The potential of wind energy in India examined and explained the reasons for their limited spatial spread.
3. The forces that influence ocean currents & their role in fishing industry of the world.
4. The distribution of rubber producing countries indicating the major environmental issues faced by them.
5. Global warming and its effects on the global climate explaining the control measures to bring down the level of greenhouse gases which cause global warming, in the light of the Kyoto Protocol, 1997.
Diagrams can improve scoring: Aspirants can draw a quick diagram of some medieval temple sculptures in the question “How will you explain the medieval Indian temple sculptures representing the social life of those days?” while writing their answers, as we discussed a similar question on page 198.
Precise Answer Writing
Strategy for 10 Types of Questions: In chapter 21 (ANSWER WRITING STRATEGIES FOR MAINS), we have discussed in detail the need for precise answer writing. Here we discussed the strategy to tackle 10 types of questions of different categories like –
6. Substantiate or Justify
7. Write a Note
8. Compare and Contrast
9. Problem and Solution
Almost all the questions of UPSC 2022 Mains fall in one of the categories. Hence, if the students have studied this chapter, they can write precise answers and get maximum marks on all GS papers.
In our practice essay section of the book,the book suggests the essay “Is secularism in danger in India?” If the students have practised this essay, they can easily write the an- swer to the question “Are tolerance, assimilation and pluralism the key elements in the making of an Indian form of secularism? Justify your answer”. (GS-1) Further, the book discusses the Indian concept of secularism in Chapter 21 (Answer Writing Strategies for Mains/Section 3. Ingenuity-Based Questions), which helps answer this question.
In the UPSC Essay paper of 2022, there were a wide variety of topics, unlike the 2021
paper, where all 8 Essays were philosophical. However, like in past, essays in one Section
(B) were philosophical. In Section A, the essay topics included two philosophical essays and two essays on geography/environment and history. The following six essays were philosophical in 2022 paper.
1. Poets are the unacknowledged legislators of the world
2. A ship in harbour is safe, but that is not what ship is for
3. The time to repair the roof is when the sun is shining
4. You cannot step twice in the same river
5. A smile is the chosen vehicle for all ambiguities
6. Just because you have a choice, it does not mean that any of them has to be right.
The major problem in writing essays on philosophical topics is to generate ideas to write 1000-1200 word essays on the topic, which is based on a quotation from a famous
philosopher. However, if the aspirants have studied the book ‘Mastering Essay and Answer Writing’ of Disha publication, they can easily write their essays as the book provides:
1. 10 Methodologies to answer writing
2. 10 Methods to write great introductions
3. 3 Techniques of brainstorming and the best methods to write impressive conclusions
Moreover, there is a dedicated topic for dealing with philosophical essays and 30 full-length essays using mind-mapping techniques that can help write any type of philosophical essay.
The topics of the essay paper 2022 were simple and every student can easily find at least one essay from each section to write essays. So, the difference in performance will be made based on the essay writing techniques like developing flow in the essay and developing the command of the language, the topics which are discussed in depth in the book.
Finally, the book contains a large number of quotations on various topics which are very useful for writing essays. You can embellish your answers and essays to make them stand apart by including the following resourceful material from the book:
1. Anecdotes of great people
2. Timeless stories and fables
4. Research and studies
A thorough study of the book can be a game changer for civil services aspirants due to its comprehensive coverage of all the general studies papers and essay writing techniques.What You Get in this Book
• 30 Full-length Essays with mind-mapping techniques.
• Learn to Brainstorm ideas on any Topic.
• Excellent tips & strategies to improve writing skills (language, diction, thought, content & structure).
• Outstanding methods to write impressive Introductions and Conclusions.
• Covers all types of questions for Mains Answer Writing.
• Mind maps, examples & illustrations for greatest retention and understanding.
• A dedicated section on writing Philosophical Essays.
• Formulae and Strategies used by Top Rankers.