The India Today Conclave is a two-day event where powerful leaders and dignitaries from various fields discuss and debate the most pressing issues faced by India and the world. The event involves keynote speeches, panel discussions, fireside chats, and other interactive sessions where speakers share their thoughts, insights and ideas on various topics.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi delivered the keynote address on the concluding day (18th March) of the India Today Conclave 2023. PM Modi was the ‘Icon of India’ speaker at the much-awaited meeting of minds at a time when the world is in economic and political turmoil. He had last addressed the India Today Conclave before the pandemic in 2019. In 2023, India has taken the centre stage in the world as the country is expected to become the third largest economy and a key player in security of the seas. India is also the host of this year’s G20 Summit, which is focused on clean energy and economic recovery.
Following are key points from PM Modi’s speech at the India Today Conclave 2023
- He lauded the theme of the Conclave, ‘The India Moment’, and listed India’s achievements in the first 75 days of this year. The Prime Minister said, “A new history is being created, which we are all witnessing. The world is showing its trust in India.”
- PM began his speech by reflecting on the various challenges and stages that come in the way of the development journey of any nation and said the time period in this decade of the 21st century holds special importance for India.
- Prime Minister pointed out that today the circumstances faced by India are completely different where the global challenges are comprehensive in nature and come in many forms.
- He underlined that the ‘India Moment’ being discussed around the world today is not ordinary, especially when the largest pandemic in a hundred years hit the world along with the ongoing war between two nations and remarked by adding, “A new history is being scripted and we are all witnessing it together” and the world is showing its trust in India.
He highlighted the following points
- “The most special thing about the India Moment is promise that is coupled with performance”.
- “The poor of India wants to get out of poverty as soon as possible. He wants his life to change along with the lives of his future generations.”
- The present government wanted new results, and hence increased the speed and scale.
- If the country has to move forward, it should always have dynamism and bold decision-making power. If the country has to progress, then it should have the ability to accept newness and have an experimental mindset, it should have faith in the abilities and talents of its countrymen, and above all, there should be the blessings and participation of the people in achieving the goals
- For example, 11 crore toilets were built at a record pace, 48 crore people being added to the banking system, and the money for pucca houses being sent directly to the bank account of those beneficiaries.
- The whole process of building a house is continuously monitored, and the house is also geo-tagged. More than 3 crore houses were built under PM Awas Yojana and handed to the poor in the last 9 years, women also have ownership rights in these houses and India’s Moment is bound to come when poor women feel empowered.
- “When the strength of 130 crore countrymen is mobilized, when everyone’s effort is put in, then no problem can stand in front of the country”.
- Today the citizens have developed the belief that the government cares for them. “There is a human touch and sensitivity in good governance”.
The Prime Minister went on to list India’s achievements in the first 75 days of 2023. Some of these are,
- India got its historical Green Budget.
- A pilot for E20, or petrol blended with 20% ethanol, was launched.
- Asia’s most advanced Helicopter manufacturing facility in Tumkur.
- Air India placed the highest aviation order of all time.
- Country dedicated 21 islets of the Andaman and Nicobar Islands to the 21 Param Vir Chakra Awardees.
- The milestone of 10 crore teleconsultations was achieved through e-Sanjeevani app.
- 8 crore new tap water connections were provided.
- 100 per cent electrification of rail networks was achieved.
- Karnataka’s newest airport at Shivamogga was inaugurated.
- The next phase of Mumbai Metro Rail lines was inaugurated
- The luxury cruise MV Ganga Vilas sailed in these 75 days.
- The Bengaluru-Mysuru Expressway project was inaugurated in Karnataka.
- The permanent campus of IIT Dharwad was inaugurated.
- Arrival of a new batch of 12 cheetahs at Kuno National Park.
- Indian Women’s cricket team won the inaugural U-19 T20 World Cup.
- The country felt the joy of winning 2 Oscars.
Prime Minister in his concluding remark emphasized the need to expand the role of Indian Media globally and said, “We have to strengthen India Moment with ‘Sabka Prayas’ and empower the journey of a developed India in the Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav.”